Sunday, September 07, 2014

Dying to Know

I do this thing where I try to examine the result before the process is complete. It's like looking at the cake batter imagining what the cake will look like when it is baked before I have even subjected it to the heat of the oven. In the same way, I am attempting to imagine what I will look like when I have been through college and have come out on the other side with a degree of some sort. I thought I wanted an economics degree, but I don't think so now. It's interesting and all, but I don't want to go to college to study it. Now I'm on a psychology track, but I've just begun my first assignment for my general psychology class and it's a bunch of busy work nonsense. I'm sure there may be a smidgen of value in completing the research involved in answering the questions, but I strongly question the method of subjecting me to this process. What am I supposed to gain from this experience?
That's such a capitalistic question. What's in it for me? I feel like if I'm spending my minutes in the pursuit of this thing called a college degree I should be entitled to knowing what it will give me in return. Unless of course it is some kind of investment, in which case, I understand the concept of putting the investment in on the front end and trusting to reap the benefit of it in the long run. But there are too many people with bachelor's degrees working jobs that are well beneath their education qualification (in theory anyway). So what is the theme? The point of all of this? What is the moment when I will know why I'm doing this?
Good lord, sometimes I hear myself and I sound like a adolescent teenager. These are the questions they ask. The real answers seem very different from the ones they told me in school. I learned about justice, and logic. Those things seem as mythical as wizards and dragons. Reality looks more like corruption and violence. Church is a place for people with pretty faces and deep pockets. Faith is for people who can afford to believe.
But faith without works is dead.
James 2:26
 26 "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

Anyway, it's time for bed. 


No comments: